Monday, April 18, 2011

Realizing your Potential

"Life is like a box of chocolate. You'll never know what you're gonna get." - Forrest Gump
Remember the song "que sera  sera"? A girl asking her mom what she will be when she grows up? Even her mom wasn't able to answer her question. And they say mom knows best! So it is right that whatever will be, will be.


I have watched a video of Caroline Casey telling the world of her triumph over her congenital blindness. A successful woman who has courage to do all because she didn't limit herself in a box. Her self worth is so strong it took her 17 years before she learned she was blind. Huh? How will you know green from green if you're blind? But she did! If you grow up knowing some facts, you don't lose it just because you grow old. Instead you store that and learn new facts. How come she didn't notice she was blind? How come you didn't notice your fly was open? Because she grew up knowing what she is "seeing" is norm. That there is nothing wrong with it. That walking around with your fly open is not embarassing not until someone points it at you and smirks commenting on it. 

A pair of high-heeled shoes.Image via Wikipedia
Have you ever wondered how you came to BE? Why you have that consciousness and not that of another? Just think and look around. Be aware of your surroundings and detach yourself. What do you feel? Are you really meant to be at this place at this time? Is this the right time? If this is your conscious mind, and if you happen to look in the mirror and see a different face aside from yours registering with your conscious mind, will you feel different or it won't matter? After all, our conscious mind is just the battery of our living body. I remember thinking like this when I was young. Maybe 7 or 8 years old. I was staring at our ceiling seeing the roof (bubong) markings. You see, we were poor that we don't have a proper ceiling. The metal roof is what comprises our ceiling. So I was there, lying on my parents bed (our only bed) that time and asking myself, if I wasn't born here with my family, where will I be? Where will my consciousness be? If my mom and dad didn't marry, will I still exist? Can my consciousness be recycled? As of now I still don't know the answer to that. Part of me believes in reincarnation, but that is a different topic altogether.

One thing is for sure. I never pictured myself here in Germany. I didn't even know where Germany was located in the map even before I got here. I was just a promdi (from a rural area) girl trying to get away from a very conservative upbringing. From an old culture that depicts woman as housewife, great cook and loving wife. Yap, I was able to rebel on that label. I am a workaholic career woman, who just learned to cook and bake because I miss homecooked meal (see my other webblog), and a spinster. 

What I do know is that I believe in the power of the mind. Making things happen by believing and claiming it. I have read a Mind Power Book when I was in college. Its an exhausting book to read and the meditating routine was so tasking that I wasn't able to finish it. But i believe in all the summation sit give that if we put our mindset to something, it can happen. 

I used to teach personality development in my old penurious caregiver school. I told my students that we all need to continue to make ourselves grow mentally, financially, spiritually, socially and family-wise. 5 stages of personality growth that we need to balance to live a successful life. In any book about this topic, I have encountered the never ending wish list. That you should write down in a small notebook of all your wishes. Big or small, possible or not. But a wish list should be specific. I even remember reading an article about a wish list on one of Bo Sanchez' books. I gave testimony to my students that when I was growing up, I always wanted some stuff. When I drew pictures and daydream (which is a lot), I will add some stuff like lovebirds, an aquarium, a nice tended garden, nice high heeled shoes and mini vacations, credit cards, calling card, atm card, and even a green card. And lo and behold! I did get all of that (except the green card) when I started working. I didn't notice that what I've been slowly investing in was a realization of my childhood dream. A fulfillment to a fantasy. It may be mundane to some but it was a great deal for me. Because of that, I fervently believe in the power of the mind. So I made my own new wish list which I have been updating ever since. Some of them I have crossed out because those are wishes came true. Like a trip abroad, tour with the family, dollar account and even a drivers license. But important thing is to keep on adding to the list because life has no limit. Everything is possible if we put our mind into it. Important is, we have the mindset to go about it. To act on it. Surely there are pitfalls. Hey, I specifically wished to be married at the age of 27. But almost a decade has past and I'm still single. Do I need to cry my eyes out for a failed item om my wish list? Of course not! I'm blessedly happy being single. Life has a purpose and I'm embracing it. This is not the end. At the end of the day, we all still don't know what we will be or if this is IT. 
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...